Sunday, May 3, 2009

Team Rubbermaid

The only gear that I would use when I surfed in Hawaii was a board, fins, and boardshorts. Seriously, that was it; I didn't even use a leash back then because surfing without a leash was the popular thing to do (as impractical as it was). It's a stark contrast to the gear that I use to surf nowadays. I sometimes feel like a mobile surf shop with all the gear that I now use. Don't get me wrong, if I had it my way, I would still be using just a board, fins, and boardshorts, but each spot will dictate what equipment should be used, and the Southern California spots are no different.

As I've learned what gear will be conducive to an enjoyable Socal surf session, I've also realized the benefit of secondary gear, if you will. In other words, gear that I don't use while surfing, but rather gear that I use before or after my surf sessions. One of the brands of secondary gear - Rubbermaid - is more synonymous with domestics products than surf sessions, but it works like a charm.



I fill this container to a fourth of its capacity with fresh water before each session, and after each session, I put my wetsuit in it. Since my wetsuit is completely submerged in fresh water, my wetsuit is thoroughly rinsed out by the time I get home from the beach. As a result, I don't have to rinse out my wetsuit when I get home. Now that's what I call a time and hassle saver!




I use this container in the same way that I use my container for my wetsuit, except I use it to rinse out my underwater electronic devices (most electronic manufactures recommend that underwater electronics are submerged in fresh water for ten minutes [sometimes longer] each time they're used in saltwater), and I also keep it at home.




My usual spot has arguably the best showers of any spot in Socal. Yet for those spots whose showers are sub-par or that have no showers at all, this little jug comes in handy for a post-sesh rinse off. Thanks to Sal for sharing the idea with me. I thought it was such a good idea that I bought my own jug the same day that you shared yours with me.

1 comment:

Selase said...

Good thinking. BTW.... the best shower at da beach in da south bay is at AVE I at the bottom of the walk ramp... DA BEST!!!