Tuesday, May 26, 2009

An Eventful Day

I just came back from what seemed like a mini road trip. I caught a sesh down south; I then went further south where I met a legendary shaper, a legendary bodyboard company owner, and then a legendary bodyboarder; and on the way back home, I stopped by a Hawaiian restaurant that I haven't been to in ages.

I got up early this morning and headed south to catch a sesh. This is what I found:


Upon first glance, I know those of you who have my phone number were quickly looking for your phone to call me and ask me "Hey, Lee, where did you go?" Haha It's actually Teahupoo (I'll explain later in this blog entry where this picture came from).



Here's what I really found this morning:











After my sesh, I headed down to the Custom X factory in Oceanside. Several months ago, I had purchased a Custom X board that was defective. I was about to get rid of it, when an acquaintance of mine suggested that I contact Debbie (the president of Custom X) to see if there was anything that she could do about the defective board. She told me that I could take my board down to them (I could have mailed it to them, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to see the Custom X factory), and they would see what they could do. I didn't expect them to do anything more than take a look at my board, and then tell me that there was nothing that they could do (after all, there's really nothing you can do to fix a reverse rocker) besides give me a few stickers and a t-shirt since my board was no longer covered under the manufacturer's warranty. To make a long story short, I got a free brand new board, I got to meet [Custom X President] Debbie Colwell, I got to meet the legendary shaper PMA, and I got a personal tour of Custom X's facilities. Talk about exceptional customer service! Oh, and regarding the picture of Teahupoo above, it's a picture displayed on one of the walls in the Custom X lobby



My new board




Legendary shaper PMA working his magic



The steps of making a bodyboard:










After I left the Custom X factory, I stopped by Jay Reale's shop for a few things. It was the first time that I had met the bodyboarding legend. He's known as one of the pioneers of bodyboarding. He's an all-around good guy




On my way home, I decided to stop by Bob's in Gardena. Bob's has the best lau lau that I've had in LA.

5 comments:

iTiZ wUt iTiZ said...

you scored!!! NICE

Nick Borgens said...

YEAH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!
THATS SWEET BRO...FIRST YOU GOT SOME EPIC PICS THEM A NEW BOARD HAHA THATS A DOUBLE WAMMY RIGHT THERE IF YOU ASK ME!!!!!!!!!
I'M SO STOKED FOR YOU!!! AND BIG HUGE PROPS ON THE PICTURES THAT BARREL SHOT HAD TO BE ONE OF YOUR BEST SHOTS YET IN MY OPINION (NO JOKE)

Lee said...

Thanks guys. It was definitely a memorable day.

Selase said...

NICE!!!! You scored 3 times in one day.

Jeff Yusa said...

liking the waves, but Bob's even more!!!